Episode 17 – Living “The Kinetic Life” in order to Drive Influence (Interview w/ Mel Mitchell)
Melerick “Mel” Mitchell believes we all have the power and obligation to influence the world for the better. In 2009, Mel founded Drive Influence to serve current executives as well as their rising talent, teams, and organizations in a wide range of industries including start-us, NGOs governments, and corporations to accelerate performance through his Kinetic philosophies. He also has a wide range of volunteer and leadership experience including serving as the 2014-2015 National Professionals Chair of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE).
Mel likes to run Spartan Races, which are long distance runs that include a number of obstacles and challenges along the way.
While working for Microsoft, he pitched an idea to upper management about starting a program to develop leaders and incoming talent. It was not only approved but he will appoint the manager of this program. After overseeing the execution and the growth into many additional programs he began to feel that this was something he could provide on his own as an entrepreneur. So he went to his direct supervisor and told him that he was ready to make the leap. Upon launching Drive Influence he reached out to all his previous business contacts and began to generate business.
- If you can leverage all he minds in the room then you are able to come up with a better solution.
- Save money, so that when you hit a dry period in your business you won’t make broke people decisions.
- Treat slow periods in business like and athlete treats their off-season.
- Be faithful. Do what you are supposed to do and God will look for you.
- Be bold earlier and start reading leadership books, etc… That extra reading makes a big difference.
- Learn how to see things from different perspectives.
- “Kinetic Life: Unleash Your Potential” by Melerick Mitchell
- “That One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results” by Gary Keller and Jay Papassan
*Books are Amazon Affiliate Links
- Periscope – Live video streaming app
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.” – Marianne Williamson
“We strive to be the best we can be and not just get over” – KRS One